Reading is a Whole New World


 Anyone who knows me knows that I love to read, and even write, books! I just love the variety of stories out there, some of which become my favorites. There are a lot of great books out there for kids too! I always try to find a book that will be interesting to each child I tutor, and one at or slightly above their reading level. Right now I have a nine year old, a six year old, a seven year old, and a three year old. The nine year old is advanced in reading and doesn't usually like to read fiction (though he does like the Percy Jackson series). So I try to find informational books about interesting topics. We usually only come up with two words to his word list. There are a different number of words required to learn for each list. When they memorize the list and can say all the words without any help, they earn a $5 gift card to Walgreens. This is good incentive to learn the words. The six year old just earned her gift card for learning "it, his, sit, mat and hat." I've only been giving her five words a week. I think I'll have to increase it to ten. 🙂



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Busy days!

Chipped teeth

Thoughtfulness